“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become a habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” ― Lao Tzu
Sometimes your view of an event can make all the difference in the world. Being able to change the way you look at things is one of the most powerful skills you could learn in creating the life you desire. People who maintain a positive approach to challenges are able to move forward more freely and peacefully in life, than those who choose to stay in their negative state of attitude. More importantly, mental and physical health significantly improves when one develops the skills to maintain a positive state of mind. A positive attitude does not mean ignoring life’s troubles. It means being an optimist and looking for the good in experiences, rather than being a pessimist and concentrating on the bad in things. It’s about choosing the thoughts and actions that benefit your emotional, mental, and physical health.
Positive and negative attitudes influence every single aspect of our lives. Your attitude determines what and how you feel about yourself, others, and the world; it expresses your beliefs, opinions, values, and judgments. One of the most important steps you would take toward achieving your highest potential in life is to learn to monitor your attitude and its impact on your health, relationships, and goals. And to do that, you will need to practice positive: feeling, thinking, doing, dreaming, eating, giving, receiving, loving, living, feeding, everything-ing!
A positive and negative attitude has been defined in many different ways. We’ve included all of our favorite definitions below:
A positive attitude is:
- A way of choosing the thoughts and feelings that expects favorable results.
- The willingness to understand and expand your beliefs.
- The willingness to be curious rather than stubborn.
- The willingness to see the good in all situations.
- The belief that everything will eventually turn out right and as it should be.
- An attitude that helps you see the good in yourself and others.
- The willingness to always make room for personal growth.
- The willingness to recognize mistakes and failures as opportunities for growth.
- The willingness to forgive and move forward.
A negative attitude is:
- A way of choosing to focus on the mistakes and failures.
- A way of choosing to pay attention to the bad in people, events, situations, etc.
- A way of choosing to stay disappointed, angry, and resentful.
- The unwillingness to understand and see the possibility of other options.
- The unwillingness to move forward in life.
- The unwillingness to improve your weaknesses.
Negative thoughts and emotions do serve their own specific purpose in life too: they allow you to sharpen your focus on dangers, threats, and vulnerabilities. A positive attitude also does not mean ignoring life’s troubles. It means being an optimist and looking for the good in experiences, rather than being a pessimist and concentrating on the bad in things. It’s about choosing the thoughts and actions that benefit your emotional, mental, and physical wellness.
Beyond Development not only discusses the importance of having a positive perspective and attitude in life, but also provides the tools in which positive living is easily possible. We provide the most effective techniques for cultivating a positive mindset in order to improve coping skills when faced with adversity and challenges. Our techniques are applicable in all stages in life from childhood into entire adulthood.